Friday, February 18, 2011

In ACA's Absence There is Al-Anon

There are no ACA meetings in my state, so I decided to go to an Al-Anon meeting.  I find many ACoAs go to Al-Anon when ACA is not available.  This was written the day after my first Al-Anon meeting. 


      I had my first real life (as in not online) meeting yesterday.  It was an Al-Anon meeting which I only later found out happened to have an adult child focus.  Seems I do have luck, but it's not really where I want it. 


     I was definitely the youngest there, though I became reassured by the presence of a guy only five years older who graduated from the same small college I went to.  I think it's going to take me some time to open up to this group, but they were very kind and supportive.

      There was a woman who looks like Sarah Palin.  Seemed really nice though.

      The meeting basically followed the same outline as the online ones, except you raised your hand instead of typing "!" and you said, "Hi my name is _____."  And everyone else said, "Hi _____."  Also real life hugging, which I wasn't totally comfortable with, so I stayed out of it.  I won't lie; it was a bit awkward.  But I think if I continue to go I'll start to trust them, and then I'll be able to open up. 

      Topic was God's will.  So many time the phrase, "Let go and let God," came up.  Yeah.  I'm not ready to relinquish that sort of control.   

No comments:

Post a Comment